Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stressing the small toes

Soooooooooo........ You know how I blogged about 3 weeks ago that I was going to walk/jog a Half Marathon. Um, probably not. I was in it to win it. I had the drive to be the best I could be. I wanted to beat my time from my previous two Half Marathons and know that I kicked booty. I dutifully walked my during the week 1.5-3 miles routes. I did my 4 mile long walk. I did my 6 mile long walk. I did my 8 mile long walk. Then Rylan got Fifth's disease (strange rashy virus) and a sinus infection. Then I caught his cold and it turned into bronchitis. I was sidelined for a couple of weeks. I was starting to feel those old flabby feelings returning. I was feeling like a slacker. The girls I planned to walk with were trucking along and I had gotten out of the daily exercise habit.

So, last Friday, feeling good, I started out on a long trek. I had a Dane Cook CD, my mp3 player, and a book on CD packed in the stroller to help any boredom. I had a bottle, Baby Mum Mums and lots of toys packed for my little sack of marathon trainer. I told myself I would go and go and if I started to feel bad or if Rylee-Roo started to hate-on my walking vigor, we'd go home. I walked for two hours and nearly 8 miles. Rylan was a trouper smiling at the neighbors, drinking a bottle and passing out like a champ. Dane Cook was super funny, my mp3 player played all my favorites and didn't overdo the "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz as it likes to do, and my new murder mystery was sounding interesting. It was a good day.

Then Saturday we ventured to Fayetteville for some more Razorback tailgating fun. I walked all over the place in WalMart flip flops. We tailgated for 10 hours. 10 hours on crappy flip flops. The next day I woke up thinking "I shouldn't have worn those flops." As the day rolled on I was really regretting my flop decision and thinking as soon as I got home, and the flops hit the trash can and my poor right foot hit some cushiony tennis shoes all would be right. Not so much. The pain got worse. I hobbled to work on Monday and made it six hours before I was nearly crying with each step. Time to go see Dr. Tucker and stop trying to use google to diagose the issue.
A stress fracture of the 5th metatarsal. I told this to Rob and he said "bless you." Basically I slightly broke a bone on the pinkie toe side of my foot. I've got a SUH-WEET gray space mission to Mars type boot on my foot for the next ten days. The great news is-its not that bad. In terms of breaks, its not that broken. You learn so much when you start to hobble. Like, that an "early" stress fracture is awesome. I can put this big ole' boot on and still go to work, take care of the baby, all kinds of stuff. If I'd walked longer on it, it would have completely broken and I'd be out for 4-6 weeks. So, I'll count my blessings and bedazzle my boot.

Good-bye Half Marathon. Hello Windsor Pilates. I suppose I'll have to get in shape, lose my jiggles, and turn into Awesome Fit Mama like all the normal people. With diet and regular exercise. I'll still walk lots, mostly because its an instant pleaser for my little bumpkin and, when Rob's able to join us, a scream of delight for our poor, neglected pooches. But maybe not do 8 miles after taking 2 weeks off. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment