Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Advocare 10 Day Cleanse Yay! Or Nay!

The cleanse is over, was actually over on Thursday morning. Want some results? Wanna know how I feel about it? Couldn't care less? Nobody's actually reading my blog anymore because I keep putting off blogging like the true procrastinator that I am?

Rob lost 7 pounds in 10 days.
I lost 3. Whomp whomp whomp.......

I wasn't doing the cleanse to lose weight, so I'm not upset, any loss is a loss and I'm happy with the scale going in the right direction. I just would have liked to have been a little closer to the guy that had Happy Hour and an appetizer platter on Day 5. And liquor. He had liquor too. I'm not naming names. It rhymes with Cob.

Overall, I'd say the cleanse was a success. My biggest wish was to get rid of Fat Brain. Fat Brain needed to go out with the trash. And I think it did. I really do. I don't think about food 24/7. I don't feel like I need "treats" all the time. I have made healthy choices at restaurants and not been sad about missing out.

A big part of eating healthy is cost. It does cost more. At least at first. That first trip to the store to stock up. Its frightening, really. Especially for the girl that was buying a million items for $100 with all the coupons. Very few coupons are for healthy stuff and I've had to become okay with that and know that the extra money is going to the right place. I still use coupons when I can. If you use a store, like Kroger, that has a store loyalty card, your card shows what you buy the most of. So, at the cash register, after you pay, it often prints out coupons for you, and they are magically for things you buy often. For me this is stuff like Almond Milk, eggs, and yogurt. They also send me coups in the mail and they seem to have trended towards stuff that I have started buying, like protein powder. Basically Big Brother is watching. If Big Brother wants to send me coupons, let him.

When I packed Rob's lunches for the next day (yes, that little bumkin is spoiled. It happened well before I was a stay at home wife/mom, sue me) I've started putting my own together. Even if it isn't a day I'll be working. Its nice when lunch rolls around and I have a salad or something all put together. Nothing makes you decide against a salad or healthy fare like having two little tykes yelling at you for a hot dog and being too overwhelmed to chop up fresh veggies. When these two boys get haingry, they get HAINGRY!!!!!

Lean sirloin, mashed cauliflower, peas
I really need to work on food pics. They don't do the food justice

Protein Pancakes

Sausage Corn Italiano
The cleanse says corn is a no no. Rob and I concurred that we didn't get larger than we'd like eating corn. Seriously. Its a terrible pic, but so delish, recipe down below.

Grilled chicken with tons of Cavenders, peas and corn on the cob for the chillens.
We had Roasted Brussel Sprouts. The kids ix-nayed the Brussel Sprouts.
Well, Max ix-nayed being awake for this meal.

Sweatfest at 5am, party of 1? I love days when I get myself out of bed and do this. Its hard. I'm not gonna lie. I suck at the actual, out of bed thing. This is a kettlebell workout. I bought this kettlebell and it came with a free dvd. The dvd seems so freakin easy until your legs nearly buckle and beg for mercy.
 So, obviously its working something.

All in all, I'm glad we did the cleanse. I'm not sure I would do it again, though. I'd do the cleanse in theory, just maybe not pay for the Advocare one. Its a tiny bit pricey (for 2 cheapskates) for a fiber drink and senna laxative pills. And, not to get too personal, but those little pills kind of worked opposite for me. Like, I didn't "cleanse" persay. I kinda had the opposite happen. I just went 10 days without a lot of my vices (no sugar, dairy, alcohol, coffee) and shook off some sweet tooth, craving type problems. So, next time I'd probably do the 10 days without those foods/drinks and maybe just drink some Miralax twice a day and save some $$$$. 

Now for a recipe. We got this recipe from Rob's sister, Staci. He actually made it before there was a Sara in the Rob and Sara scheme of things.

Sausage Corn Italiano
2 cans corn (drained and rinsed)
1-2 green bell peppers chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 package Turkey Sausage link, diced
3 tbsp Italian Seasoning
3 tbsp Parmesan cheese (we omitted this for the cleanse)

Heat up a large skillet. This is the one time I actually use my gigantic cast iron skillet. While it heats, chop up your bell peppers and onions. Cook them till soft. I do Pam (or the cheap version) spray to cook them. I spray the pan and put the veggies in, then do a spray on top of the veggies for when I flip them. When the peppers and onions are cooked, add the sausage. This is cooked before its packaged, so it only needs to be browned/warmed. When the sausage is cooked, add the corn and Italian seasoning and stir it through and allow it to warm. If your kids are not dairy free, like ours, this is the part where you quit stirring and add Parmesan cheese all over the top. About 3 tbsp. Rob and I just sprinkle it on our own plates after serving. 

Make this, make it soon. Your house will smell like Silver Dollar City and your kids will eat it because it has "hot dogs" in it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment