Monday, February 8, 2010

Pro-chicken Life

When I was preggers with Ry, my body could not tolerate chicken. We eat a lot of chicken here at the Qualls house. Fun faves are: Poppy Seed Chicken casserole, Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Parmesan, Chicken Satay Skewers, and Chicken Stir Fry. They all went out the window. I would make them, put the chicken in my mouth, then just like a 4 year old, I would say (with food in mouth) "I can't eat this." I was chicken free from about 8 weeks until 24 weeks. At 24 weeks, I still didn't like chicken, but blood tests proved that my new diet of Lucky Charms was leaving me lacking in certain nutrients. I tried to improvise all of our favorites with new fun beef dinners until Rob proclaimed "I MISS CHICKEN." I grew up and forced it down. And I do mean forced. As soon as I had Rylan? I was cured. I am now back to chicken several times a week.

Guess who isn't? Rylan Alexander Qualls.

Mr. Eats Everything has found his SOMETHING he doesn't like. Yesterday I put yummy Italian Grilled Chicken, rice and steamed broccoli on his plate. Guess what hit the floor. Plain white rice? No. Steamed broccoli? No. Yummy chicken? YES SIR. Last week I bought us a #6 to share at Sonic; Popcorn Chicken (not a high point in my quest for the health of my family) and he threw it all on the ground. He will eat fish, pork, beef, chili, lentils, cabbage, cauliflower, any casserole, he even ate some sort of root off my friend's plate at Bonefish last night. What is that? How was an 8 week fetus, with an alien head and nubs for arms able to convey the hate for chicken through the uterus, into my stomach?

On a side note, I made Rylan his first Peanut Butter and Jelly and he nodded his head the entire time he ate it. I guess he approved.

I'm thinking that Rylan is just equating the chicken species with his feathered friends down by our lake.

I love this lake, it was a huge selling point for us when we bough our house. It was also so wonderful during my bedrest days to get out and see on car rides. The minute the old body was up to it after having Rylan, we tried to get in a walk by our lake whenever we could. Then, when my heart could tolerate the fear, I started taking Rylan down on the little dock. After a few months of taking the stroller onto the dock, I have eventually let him out of the stroller. Scaredy Mama.
Isn't it gorgeous (minus the graffiti on the handrail of the dock)?
Feathered Friends
He can barely stand the excitement
We are usually swarmed, these two on the far left talk loud and shoo everyone away eventually
I could sit and feed ducks all day, it is a stress reliever
Rylan, on the other hand, would just assume eat the snack himself
He's excited, I'm having a panic attack

No comments:

Post a Comment